Why a Farm?
Loading from Vimeo...
Often cited as a highlight of the NCS experience, our farm program provides opportunities for real and meaningful work that teach children valuable life lessons. These include:
- Caring for animals, individually and as a group, teaches children how to nurture other beings.
- Doing actual farm work shows children the importance of their individual contributions to a larger community.
- Understanding where our food comes from is best learned by being part of a physical process of growing and harvesting food.
- Spending time on the farm allows children to develop a strong connection to the environment and a future interest in protecting it.
- Gaining an understanding of the lifecycle of plants and animals, and the interconnectedness of all organisms, enhances learning across all academic disciplines.